The blizzard outside inspired me to make one of my most favorite treats! As a kid my grandma made the most amazing Hot Cocoa! This wasn't the Swiss Miss or Nesquik version. This was made from scratch super yummy and rich Grandma's Hot Cocoa!
We have the Humphrey's Beast running to smoke a beef roast for dinner. So I thought I would try to smoke the milk/half and half for another flavor dimension! It turned out more delicious than I dreamed it would be.
- 4-1/2 cups of whole milk, half and half, or cream (sometimes I use a combination of these depending on what I have in the cupboard.)
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup of Dutch process cocoa. I love to use Ghirardelli
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1-1/2 tbsp of Instant Coffee
- Place the milk into a smoker proof pan
- Place the milk into a preheated smoker (200° F) for 30-90 mins depending on how smoky you like it. I like to use Sugar Maple wood, but apple, hickory or pecan is also nice.
- Do not allow the milk to boil.
- Strain the milk in some cheesecloth to remove any particles
- Return the milk to a pan for the cook stove
- Add the sugar and cocoa and bring to a simmer while whisking constantly.
- Once well incorporated add the vanilla and instant coffee, stir
- Once the mixture reached your desired temperature, pour into two 12 oz mugs
- Top with mini marshmallows or whipped cream