Get ready to sprinkle some Christmas magic in your backyard with our stress-free guide to cheerful outdoor entertaining! In this blog post, we're diving into the art of creating a winter wonderland right at home, no fuss required. From twinkling lights to cozy corners, we've got 15 easy tips to turn your outdoor space into a festive haven for Christmas celebrations. Whether it's a laid-back family gathering or a jolly party with friends, our guide will make the process a breeze. So, grab a cup of cocoa, and let's make your outdoor Christmas dreams come true!
1. Twinkling Lights Everywhere: Transform your home into a magical wonderland by adorning it with twinkling lights. String lights on trees, along railings, and around windows to create a warm and festive ambiance.
Nicole's Tip: I love to add some balsam garland to the strands of lights for added texture and interest. It ties back to the outdoor theme while creating a warm welcoming environment.
2. Snowy Decorations: Embrace the winter theme with snowy decorations. White or silver ornaments, snowflakes, and faux snow accents can create a charming winter scene inside your home.
Nicole's Tip: Giant DIY snowflakes are easy and inexpensive to make to if you think outside of the post. Do you remember as a kid cutting paper snowflakes. If you can find waterproof paper, you can cut out snowflakes in different sizes and hang them from each other making a vertical garland. Another tip: Popsicle sticks in different sizes and glue them together. Keep them rustic in wood color, or spray paint them white.
3. Cozy Fireplace Setting: If you have a fireplace, arrange cozy seating around it. Place plush blankets and pillows to create a warm and inviting spot for guests to gather and share stories.
Nicole's Tip: A firepit or outdoor fireplace can be the perfect focal point for a holiday gathering outdoor. Bonus: it creates warmth for those chilly days or nighttime parties. I love adding lots of red and green plaid blankets and pillows and made some 3d light up deer for a nighttime party.
4. Festive Wreaths and Garlands: Hang wreaths on doors and windows, and drape garlands along staircases and mantels. Opt for designs with pinecones, berries, and ribbons for a classic Christmas touch.
Nicole's Tip: There's a new tic toc trend right now: using shower curtain rods to hang your garland from. This also makes it easy to insert some Jingle Bells, Festive imitation flowers, or bows. The bigger the bow the better. At least that's what Nicole says!
5. Hot Beverage Station: Set up a hot beverage station with a variety of warm drinks like hot cocoa, mulled wine, and spiced cider. Provide festive mugs and toppings like whipped cream and cinnamon sticks.
Nicole's Tip: Now this tip is the most important! Did you know Chad and Nicole got married in January! Their entire theme was winter wonderland. Instead of champaign, they toasted with HOT CHOCOLATE! This is fun for not only the kids, but the grown-up kids too! Add some of your favorite liquor such as Bailey's or Ameratto to your hot chocolate or rum to your spiced cider!
6. Plaid, Plaid, Plaid: A quick wait to spread a winter theme across your backward for entertaining is to add plush plaid items like throw blankets and throw pillows. This will not only give a pop of color to your space, but it will provide a warm and inviting environment.
Nicole's Tip: Don't forget about rugs! And indoor/outdoor buffalo plaid rug can complete the look in just minutes.
7. Holiday Scents: Enhance the festive atmosphere with holiday scents. Use scented candles, diffusers, or simmer pots with ingredients like cinnamon, cloves, and orange peels for a delightful aroma.
Nicole's Tips: I love the glow of candles in the night! Scented Jar Candles will add a special ambiance to your backyard. Another tip: add a crock pot on your patio or deck with some of your favorite holiday simmering items.
8. Snowman and Santa Accents: Incorporate playful snowman and Santa figurines into your decor. These whimsical accents add a touch of joy and childlike wonder to your winter wonderland.
Nicole's Tip: I opt of Snowman and Snowflake decor over Santa because it will take me well into February before I start to decorate for Valentines day!
9. Ice Molds: Create magical ice lanterns and containers by freezing water in large containers. Place candles inside the ice lanterns and arrange them along walkways or as tabletop decorations for a captivating glow. Use Ice Containers to keep beverages cold.
Nicole's Tip: Use evergreen and berries from your yard to keep this a low cost decorating item! When doing these as lanterns, I like to do them in clusters of 3 and at different heights.
10. Larger than Life: Do you have a large backyard or patio? Try larger than lift decor like these jingle bells or ornament balls.
Nicole's Tip: Keep it in the same color motif as the rest of your decor to tie it all together.
With these tips, you'll transform your home into a cozy and magical winter wonderland, creating the perfect setting for entertaining during the Christmas season.
Need a fool proof recipe for Prime Rib? "Unleashing Flavor: Fool-Proof Smoked Prime Rib Magic with Humphrey's Herbal Remedy Rub" has everything you need to know to make a delicious prime rib for Christmas dinner!