If you are anything like me, you always cook too much food, just so that you know everyone will be well fed. I always have a ton of leftover chicken for that very reason. I am always finding new ways of using it in dishes. This braid is a true crowd pleaser and super simple to make when you have unexpected guest arrive. The ingredients are simple, and you should have most of them in the pantry already. Here's the recipe to this delish dish! I like to make my own pizza dough, but you can use frozen, or fresh found at your local grocer.
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
BBQ chicken, chopped
Fresh cilantro, chopped
Red onion, sliced thinly
1. Place the pizza dough onto a floured surface and let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven or smoker to 400 degrees.
3. Place a silpat mat (or large baking tray) on the counter and coat with cooking spray and sprinkle the top with a bit of cornmeal. Roll (or spread) the dough out on top of the silpat mat into a rectangle. Drizzle a bit of sauce on top of the chicken and mix until evenly coated. Spoon some of the barbecue sauce down the center of the pizza dough, add slices of chopped mozzarella to the sauce followed by the chicken, cilantro, and red onion. Note: Don’t use too much sauce or your pizza braid will be a bit soggy.
4. Cut even slits on both sides of the filling with a pizza cutter. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling.
5. Once you have completed the braid carefully place the silpat mat onto a baking sheet.
6. Place into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy.
Buffalo Chicken, use blue cheese dressing in place of the BBQ sauce and add shredded carrot instead of the cilantro.